Where to hang out online
Some thoughts about varous places to hang out online ... my [del.icio.us links] have some other pointers.
[free-association.net]: a nascent privacy- and security-friendly social network. The current version is just a prototype, but there's been good progress so far, and the people involved are really interesting. [This] is my (currently-unfleshed-out) profile.
A friend of mine has been using [tribe.net] to experiment with activism and social networking -- the idea for free-association.net started up in the Tribe Alternatives discussion here. Other people I know prefer Live Journal, MySpace, Yahoo! 360, or any of the zillions of other social networking sites. Assume that anything you discuss on any of these sites is public!
A few others:
- [misbehaving.net]: "Well-behaved women seldom make history."
- [NWTekno]: "The Northwest electronic music community" -- Pacific Northwest, that is. There are equivalents for different genres in different areas ... and if there's not one for your genre of choice in your area, start one!
- [BoingBoing]: "A directory of wonderful things"
- [The Art of Seduction forums]: discussions about and related to Art of Seduction and many other topics
- [Barbelith underground ]: "Subcultural engagement for the 21st Century"
- [Key 23]: "Occulture evolved")
- [Slashdot]: "News for nerds, stuff that matters" ... I recommend reading by default with threshold=3