From my notes after the tarot reading:
- Somehow I feel like I've gone on some variation of the traditional journey. [Did I make made a detour and visit the minor arcana as well? maybe this is why there were so many unusual cards in my reading] It seems more like it has something to do with sensuality and sexuality (and maybe femininity); perhaps this is so strong in the environment (or becoming that way) that it's changing things
Interpretations originally from Crystal Reflections and D'Agostino.
Significator (that is, me): King of Swords. a moderately dark mature male, very imaginative, firm in friendship; difficult to persuade; has many artistic talents; tends to complete whatever he initiates. Authority - a focused, determined, intentional mind filled with clarity of purpose and strong will which offers excellent counsel and is most reliable. Mental, assertive, a perfectionist. Defender/protector, philosophical, studious, alert, direct - a knowledgeable leader. Tactician, soldier, father of ideas and ideals. Good planner. Ruled by the drive of necessity. Teacher, mentor, researcher. Highly informed, courageous.
How are you using your ability to be rational, logical and analytical? Who is judging or criticizing you?
Covering me (the present) Two of Wands Reversed. Your true challenge is your own boredom - this lack of a new direction or stimuli. Have more patience, don't spoil things by being over anxious. You have lived in this unpleasant, unsatisfying situation long enough - it is time to make a change!
What two ideas are you bringing together in a new and different way? What conflicting desires do you wish to integrate? At what threshold do you stand? What options do you have?
Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Page of Cups. A message, an offer of help and cooperation; energy which has moved through possessiveness, manipulation and jealousy and mastered the capacity to offer emotional loyalty to others in objective ways. A gentle, quiet person - emotionally secure and able to communicate feelings, desires and concerns in realistic and meaningful ways. The development of wonderful ideas and psychic abilities through meditation and study, developed in a peaceful way. An important messages will be arriving soon - be ready to start a new project. Continually express your feelings - purify yourself emotionally.
Emotional, sensitive, creative, resourceful, loyal, affectionate, ruled by the drive for the transformation. Will be of beneficial service to the Querent. The transformation side of emotional opportunities, situations, events and guides. The fountain of emotional youth. “If it is a favorable card, the opposing forces will not be serious”
The heart of the matter: Two of Swords: You are stalemated in your affairs and you don't know which direction to go next. There is no confusion here - you have deliberately closed your eyes so that you will not have to choose. You seek to maintain calm through your balanced rationality, which causes you to deny your intuitions. Recognize that when you are unable to see your options - your rationality is of no help. Stop trying to "force" things to happen prematurely. Mental clarity and balance may require removing yourself from the action. Get away from it all to see the truth and in this state of detachment and non-involvement, you can see with non-judgmental awareness.
Passing away: Four of Wands. You have done well, perfected your work and you will know harmony, satisfaction and peace. Make plans to enjoy the results of your hard work.perfection largely due to personal labor; successful completion of enterprise; favor of powerful persons; respected, fortunate, ambitious, an advocate of innovation for improvements; gain through friends and travel. [From my personal perspective this is probably that the benefits of my PREfix/PREfast success winding down….]
What role is "ritual" or ceremony playing in your life? What have you integrated into your life? What Rite of Passage are you experiencing and how are you celebrating it? What are you celebrating?
May happen in future: Queen of Swords. A moderately dark mature female; nental, assertive, perfectionist, protective, ambitious mother. Mother of solutions, philosophical, studious, alert, confident; intensely perceptive; fond of luxuries; sexually attractive to men; a natural ability to get things done; demanding of others; yet at times very sympathetic and understanding. Sharp wit - a serious, good counselor who can give the right kind of help - having developed great spiritual depth through prolonged struggle, which reflects the mastery of a fair, objective, rational mind. She symbolizes the connection between sorrow and wisdom - having faced sorrow with courage, acceptance and honesty, she has found wisdom. She uses her intellect to free herself from confusion, doubt and fear. Here is the source of the will to achieve, to maximize the potential of the self.
How are you utilizing your mental and communicative abilities? Who is helping you see the alternatives by pointing things out to you in a rational, perhaps critical way? How are you being discriminating and analytical?
Near future: King of Cups. Emotional loyalty - unconditional love and commitment - the ability to give emotional comfort, support and positive regard to others. Qualities of generosity, reliability, respect - one who provides wise counseling with much empathy. Balance of your imagination and discipline is essential now - lighten up and have some fun. Emotional, sensitive, creative, dedicated, motivated, sensual/sexy - tender, soothing, loving. Confident, involved in the arts.
My fears: Eight of swords reversed: Begin your freedom - take off the blindfold and allow yourself to see clearly how you have created the situation you are experiencing - liberate yourself from this oppressive situation. Spontaneously utilize your creativity/ imagination and your logic/reason - combine these elements of your mind. Are you working in the right arena, on the right projects? What actions, plans or ideas are being blocked by circumstances beyond your control? What is interfering with your creative expressions?
My environment: Wheel of fortune reversed: What life-changes are you experiencing? How are you adapting to these changes? Re-evaluate your abilities. Analyze everything and ask yourself - "Will I benefit by this experience?" Keep planting seeds - you never know which ones will blossom and they all may blossom in time. How are your horizons expanding? How do you measure success?
My hopes: 7 of swords reversed. Someone may be offering you the advice and help you need. Your situation isn't half as bad as you "think" it is. Stop sabotaging yourself - release this "yes-but" attitude. You KNOW what you want - stop trying to convince yourself that you can not have it. Open your mind, release the blocks - free your imagination and satisfy your curiosity. What is confusing you? What can you do to drop your defenses and become more open?
Final outcome: The moon. Aim to evoke a conscious desire to go further than intelligence - the understanding of that which is and decide to make a "leap" into pure and simply creativity. Intuition of faith - participation in the becoming of what is to be. Bring inner ecstasy back into your consciousness. Allow your intuitive powers to guide you - the change has come, even though it does not show.
In the beginning, your unconscious and your intelligence have so little in common that communication is entirely through "dreams" - the state of consciousness where intelligence remains passive. This communication is extended to the waking state and finally, no longer unconscious - your intelligence and wisdom unite in the conscious state of "intuition".
What do you instinctively want to do? What kind of cycle or pattern are you repeating? Are your actions appropriate to this particular situation or are you responding to some past situation? What is bewildering or confusing you? What is real and what is illusion?
For additional tarot readings, see Reading on burn night 2006, Once in a blue moon, there's an embarrassment of riches, and Tarot readings
See also: Burn Night 2006, 78 Keys interpretation
Accomplishment - union of your intelligence and your spontaneous wisdom - intuition. The wisdom of a heart which is void of the desire to control or dominate. The knowledge that the "source" of your knowledge and power is not "you" - that the source influences you and fills you, but its origin is not in you.
Continue to endeavor now to advance from the "understanding of intuition" to the use of it. Regardless of your present circumstances, the adversity will be overcome - wholeness and harmony will prevail and there will be joy and happiness in your future. Opportunity is in the offing, do not hesitate to move forward - go ahead, there will be many blessings - this is a time to be happy and give thanks. Success lies ahead - growth of personal wealth as new ventures prosper. You have come through the hardships and will be blessed with new beginnings and liberation. Plan carefully for the future - obstacles can be easily overcome now - love and marriage will be very happy.
During periods of stress - your consciousness falls back to the "source" of its being. Say "yes" to yourself and the life you lead - accept the unique individuality of your body, mind and spirit. Begin to bridge your beliefs, fulfill your abilities and reconcile all parts of your self. Bring your "inner" light into consciousness and you experience a bright mind, a warm heart, an active body and a fiery spirit.
Justice requires "action" in response to the knowledge gained about yourself. The Hanged man teaches you to remain passive, for the Moon requires passive surrender since there is no way to control the visions rising with its influence. The Sun is an active, energized state - by accepting the Moon's fearful images you bring the energy outside of yourself and give all life radiance. Everything becomes simple, joyous and physical as the light of the unconscious is brought into daily life and the conscious and unconscious are joined together. Successful passage from the Tower gives you a childlike simplicity. The transfer happens all at once - a blinding revelation of the Tower, the inner radiance of the Star and the acute fear of the Moon are all join in a single instant of transformation and the aftermath is joy - a sense of all life and all the world being filled with wondrous light. You feel totally alive for you have gone beyond your childish fear of darkness by traveling through it.
The Sun represents knowledge. You feel a sense of wisdom, seeing everything with total clarity - clear and direct as you are "filled with the light of understanding." You see everything as alive, united through the light that fills all existence - unified and alive. You experience a burst of freedom as you are liberated from the ordinary restricted consciousness to openness and freedom. You feel a part of the whole rather than an isolated individual and you see the world in a new way. You experience joy, happiness and great beauty as you experience optimism, energy and wonder....
What do you now understand? What successes have you achieved? What have you birthed or brought to fruition? What joys are you sharing with others? What commitments have you made?
The thought I had in my mind as I shuffled the cards was "tell me what I need to know to be able to follow through on my New Year's Resolutions -- work-life balance, more art/beauty/fun/seduction, and more time and energy with the people I care about " at which point thoughts of two particularly Coquettish friends of mine and how much art, beauty, fun and seduction they bring to my life took over my mind. Looks like my unconscious has a pretty clear idea of what really matters to me :-)
- The Significator (that is, me): The Fool
- Covering me (the present): Nine of Swords
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Judgement
- The heart of the matter: Ten of Cups, reversed
- Passing away: Nine of Cups, reversed
- May happen in the future: Five of Pentacles, reversed
- The near future: King of Cups, reversed
- My fears: The Lovers
- My environment: High Priestess
- My hopes: 4 of Swords, reversed
- Final outcome: Temperance
"That's a good place for that card," D remarked several times. Indeed! Temperance represents vibration, radiant energy, tempering of experience, balance, and learning to transfer the life force from the imagination (moon) to the conscious (sun) -- another stage on the fool's journey to mastery. Looks like I'm making progress.
And it's hard to imagine a better final outcome than "working in harmony with others, what we've imagined will come to pass. successful combinations will be achieved."
- The Significator (that is, me): The Fool
- Covering me (the present): Chariot
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Page of Pentacles
- The heart of the matter: Hierophant, reversed
- Passing away: Strength, reversed
- Coming to pass: Seven of Pentacles
- The near future: Queen of Swords
- My fears: Six of Cups
- What people around me think: Three of Pentacles, reversed
- My hopes: Empress
- Final outcome: The Devil
See also: Vibrations spanning the decades
There were quite a few cards here that have shown up before. The Six and Seven of Cups showed up in similar places in 2006. The Six of Cups was my fears in last month's reading, and The Lovers (unreversed) were my fears in 2009/2010. As if that's not enough, the Moon was the final outcome in 2004 and Temperance in 2009/2010. Hmm ...
See also: DJ Anomaly at the party without a name
- The Significator (that is, me): The Fool: hiiiiii!
- Covering me (the present): Six of Cups: Happiness and enjoyment from the past. New friendships, gift from an admirer, new knowledge and opportunities. What memories or relationships from the past have reappeared? What is renewing and revitalizing you? What is bringing you pleasure?
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Seven of Cups: Dreams, castles in the air, imagination working overtime -- the seekers' forces have been too scattered. A unifying story that speaks of limitless diversity, unbounded potential. What are your life be like if everything you require for success is always available to you? Are you distracted by the diversity before you? If so, how can you obtain clear focus?
- The heart of the matter: The Tower: Getting beyond duality; changes, conflict, overflowing existing ways of life; disruption brings enlightenment. How are you improving and restructuring yourself and your environment? What sudden realization or insight have you had? Wikipedia notes "Others believe that the Tower represents dualism, and the smashing of dualism into its component parts, in preparation for renewal that does not come from reified, entrenched concepts.... Epiphanies, transcendental states of consciousness, and Kundalini experiences may result." Indeed!
- Passing away: Two of Swords, reversed: Release, movement of affairs, sometimes in the wrong directions. Avoid imposters. Sympathy for those in trouble. Disloyalty. The spirit of duality, split decisions, opposing choices. Release your fear of involvement now, release your need for everything to be "perfect" and in perfect order all the time - allow yourself to relax. What are you hesitating to do? With whom do you have to make peace or reconcile? Are you moving against the current of life, or with the flow? What kind of unique or unorthodox resources are available to me in my time of need?
- Coming to pass: Three of swords: A general upheaval of the environment. Possibility of civil war. Political strife. Stormy weather for the affections. Experience your emotions fully, so that you will not get blocked by them. The veil of obscurity is pierced, and the heart of desire is made manifest through our practice of living an observed, aware, and balanced life. In what ways are you suffering, feeling jealous or hurt? Can you look at your relationships with truth and honesty? What do you fear most within your relationships? What are you hiding from? Are you being totally honest with yourself about the situation and the people you are associating with?
- The near future: The Hanged Man: Spiritual wisdom, prophetic power, a pause in one's life, suspended decisions. Material temptation is conquered. Self-surrender leads to transformation. "The initiated man now stands as a responsible co-worker with the divine." After the crisis of seeing comes the peace of acceptance. Love alone can effect the transformation. What do you expect from the sacrifices you are making? Are you struggling with a decision or problem? Can you let it go? What activities in your life can you give up in order to allow more benefits? What beliefs and thoughts do have that hinder your progress? Can you give them up?
- My fears: Eight of Wands: Great haste, great hope, too rapid advancement. That which is on the move. Hasty communications, messages, letters of love, journey by air. unleashed, your imagination can flow unchecked - a burst of energy felt as an "urgency to get moving" or a frenzy of activity. Gentle these impulses with quiet meditation and the effort of self-control. [Trying to do too much too soon could easily lead to losing focus or spiralling; yes, I am concerned about it.] What are you rushing into? What do you feel the urge to move on quickly? What do you need to tell others about? Are you moving with or against the natural current of life? What does the concept of surrender mean to you?
- My environment: Temperance: Adaptation, tempering, coordination, self-control, good management. Working in harmony with others. What we've imagined will come to pass. Successful combinations will be achieved. It is time for you to apply what you have learned - see what you have mastered - you are an artist in all phases of your life. Try new things now, while at the same time - maintaining a solid hold on your present security. Recognize the flow in your own life, and choose to listen to nature's broadcast. What are you feeling optimistic about? What thoughts, beliefs or actions can you merge together to create harmony in your life? What needs to be healed or brought into balance?
- My hopes: The Lovers, reversed: the standard interpretation here is "quarrels, infidelity, a broken marriage" but I'm certainly not hoping for that! Instead I thinks it's the reversal of The Lovers' interpretation ("You have been offered two paths - it is time for your choice") -- i.e., getting beyond duality as with the Tower. Back in 2004 I wrote "It will appear to be a choice between two things; there is almost always a third option to 'reject the choice' or even 'defer the choice' which means there are many options." Now, with qw3ries and the intersection between writing, activism, entrepreneurship, psytrance, and transformation (and in so many other ways), I'm not just rejecting choices but finding ways to synthesize them and achieve successful combinations. How do your relationships mirror your own sense of self-worth? What choice or decision do you need to make? What needs to be combined, synthesized or brought together?
- Final outcome: The Moon, reversed: Imagination will be harnessed by practical considerations. Storms will be weathered, peace gained at a cost. Avoid risks; there is the possibility of misunderstanding. "The fool is still on his journey -- learning, falling back, and then again advancing." What kind of cycle or pattern are you repeating? What is real and what is illusion? What steps can you take to silence those nagging thoughts that distract from joy? What do you instinctively want to do?
- The Significator (that is, me): The Fool
- Covering me (the present): Two of Pentacles, reversed: Somebody dressed in raveware dances while playing with a leminiscate with two pentacles ... I'm sure it looks great under black light. The ships bheind are tossed on the high seas. Enforced gaiety, inability to handle several situations at once, simulated enjoyment. You have become overly passive to the point of inactivity. Waiting and watching - afraid to jump into the heat and passion of life. Is your disorganization is causing the difficulty? Consider a completely new approach. Look around for the deeper meaning to your experience. This is not a time of disappointment, but a time of expansion. Balanced changes in your relationships and work that can re-balance your life experiences. Positive change that is stable, solid and secure. What two or more situations are you handling with ease? What are you adapting to? What do you want to change in your home, profession, status, finances? What are you juggling in order to keep stable - money, weight, finances, lifestyle? In what ways do you play and use your excess energies? What calls for diplomacy?
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Six of PentaclesFrom a good heart he shares with others. Gain in material undertakings, sharing with others justly, dispensing with justice. You will receive what you deserve. Success through physical attainment and accomplishment. A happy atmosphere surrounds you - good things are beginning to happen - you are about to enjoy the fruits of your labor. STOP WORRYING! Love gives you a feeling of abundance that you share with no fear of running out. Experience the success of producing those things which have deep internal motivation or inspiration for you - bring your resources together and create an alliance of power and success. Organize, co-create, make things happen by using all available ways and means. With whom are you sharing your prosperity, resources or abilities? How and to whom are you mentor, advisor or patron? How are you sharing the wealth of money, talent, information? What do you have to give that others need? How are you managing your time? What and from whom do you receive?
- The heart of the matter: Eight of Cups: A watchful moon observes. What should I be leaving behind; conversely, what do I need to make it a point not to abandon? Focus on what's important. Things thrown aside as soon as gained. Journeying from place to place. Disappointment in love. Leaving material success for something higher. Success abandoned. You have emotionally over-extended yourself: overindulgence to the point of burn-out. You are tired, feeling drained and depleted as a result of filling other people's needs and wants to the exclusion of your own. You want something entirely different. Rest and you will regenerate as new ideas begin to germinate. The time has come to move on - put the ordinary things of life behind you and move forward. Your emotional world is growing. Prepare to leave this stable situation and journey into the unknown: emotional quests/crusades, creative productivity/expansion. What do you feel weary of or dissatisfied with? What relationships or values are no longer relevant in your life? What or who is drawing on your energy and leaving you feeling emotionally drained? How can you withdraw or take time to renew yourself?
- Passing away: Ace of Pentacles: Eternal Synthesis, the great whole of the visible universe, the realization of counterbalanced power. The lilies of pure thought grow in the garden below. The beginning of wealth and material gain. Gold, prosperity, combined with pleasure and beauty. The physical/material beginning of things - the ultimate and successful completion of physical/material matters to the highest standards. It is time for you to ground your creative energy into material gain, contentment and the fulfillment of your hopes, wishes and desires. Allow yourself to experience the ultimate balance - mental, emotional, spiritual and physical success resulting in a joyful life. Bring together all your internal and external resources and talents. Everything is great now and successful ventures are possible if you start with a good foundation.
- Coming to pass: Ten of Swords, reversed Overthrow of evil forces. Some success and profit. Courage to rise again. In spiritual matters, looking to higher powers for help. Examine things from every angle and thoroughly pin down all the aspects of your situation. You are blocking reality, seeing only what you want to see, fearing that everything is going to come tumbling down around you. Stretch yourself in your search for knowledge and with diligence you will develop wisdom. When you are coming out of a bad situation - expect new and positive vibrations! A Karmic lesson has been completed and there will be steady improvement now. In what way are you feeling paralyzed or unable to act? Where do you feel that you have no choice? What are you being forced to accept? What is being sacrificed? What problem can you now let go of? By totally accepting defeat, what are you now free to do?
- The near future: Four of Swords Hermit's repose. Rest after war. Banishment. Relaxation of anxiety, release from suffering. There will soon be a change for the better. Maintain balance on all four levels - mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically. Things are changing. Stabilize yourself. Rest and take this time to think of new plans. Your dreams will come true but you must wait. Have you responded to your difficulties by isolating yourself - flattening your emotional reactions and trying to hide them deep inside yourself? There is no hurry now - consider this a convalescent period. Give yourself time - this situation is getting better. Build a solid foundation upon which you can expand. From what do you need to rest or retreat? Where do you need to focus your energies in order to recuperate your strength? What can you do to gain a better perspective and be fair and just in this situation? What kind of professional assistance would help most?
- My fears: Eight of Pentacles, reversed: Danger of failing in ones ambitions. False vanity, intrigue, and sharp practice. Skill turned to cunning, like that of the counterfeiter. You could be going about things the wrong way. Your own impatience is creating this frustration and these unfulfilled ambitions. You can not take shortcuts to success - proceed in the proper way - attend to details and utilize your organizational skills. What are you working on preparing ahead of time? What skill or craft are you learning? What details do you need to examine and take care of? How can you create a regular time and place to work? What preparations do you need to make? What are you doing to take care of your health and well-being?
- What people around me think: Queen of Wands, reversed Domineering, obstinate, revengeful; likely to turn suddenly against another without cause. Recognize the people in your life who are narrow minded, possessive, manipulative, controlling, vindictive, take a domineering approach and are exceptionally strict and unbending. Too much disaster or opposition from life can turn them deceitful, unfaithful and bitter. It is essential that you demonstrate your self-trust now. Your internal and external experiences are revealing self-knowledge. Your basic good nature and positive attitudes, as well as your energy make you invaluable in a crisis or disaster. KNOW the "dark side" - bridge the conscious and the subconscious and discern which avenue will produce the best results for everyone concerned. [If this represented a person it would be a blonde with blue or hazel eyes, but it's not clear who in my life that would be.]
- My hopes: Four of Pentacles, reversed: What do I want? You have acted without giving yourself time to think. The energy has been released - allow yourself to experience the generosity and freedom as you begin to give your life some structure. [Taken literally these don't seem like thinks I'm really hoping for: prejudice, covetousness, the miser clinging to his gold, suspicion, hindrances, setbacks in material ambitions, too free with money, chance of loss of earthly possessions, acting without giving yourself time to think, refusal to use my money or resources. WTF? So maybe the best way to read this is that I have lost touch with my hopes -- my fears (or something) are clouding them.] What is keeping you centered? What are your greatest strengths? How are you powerful? What gives you a sense of security? What do you want to hold on to or possess? Who or what do you need to protect?
- Final outcome: Nine of Pentacles: Material well-being. You will experience mental, emotional, spiritual, physical and financial profit if you choose to follow what has heart and meaning to you. A mature well-dressed women with a tame falcon on wrist, representing well-controlled thought and a great love of gardens and home. Solitary enjoyment of the good things of life. Caution: be prudent. Organize your life. Distinguish what matters and what goals truly demand your best efforts. Unifying your wisdom with your love in a creative way facilitates tangible gain in all areas of your life. Materialize, manifest and realize your dreams. Follow your goal to the end and do not allow impatience to get in the way. What are you earning by your endeavors - material wealth, security, status? How are you enjoying what you have earned? How are you spending your leisure time? How do you give thanks for all that you've gained?
As I shuffled the cards I thought about the handful big questions in my life these days. One that was particularly strong in my mind, right before I cut the cards, was how to turn all the negativity in my environment positive. With seven reversed cards, there's no shortage of negativity here -- including the Eight of Pentacles Reversed ("danger of failing in one's ambitions, intrigue, skill turned to cunning") which has moved from my fears in the New Year's Day reading to the near future now. Great. Fortunately the cards don't set the future in stone, they just describe a likely future based on the current dynamics, and point to possibilities of what to change.
And the message on what to change is pretty clear. Reflecting on the reading, I thought about how different it would have been if those cards hadn't been reversed. The more negativity I can turn positive, the better the situation will be. How to do that? When we had finished going through the cards, she reflected "It's all about balance. For the foreseeable future, that's what you need to be looking at." Good advice as always!
- The Significator (the Querent): The Fool Hiiiii! (waves)
- Covering: (the present): Justice, reversed: Injustice, inequality. Do not allow unfairness to keep you from taking responsibility for what happens to you. Use mercy and understanding when judging yourself and others, and avoid excessive tendency to severity. Be disciplined and use your ability to divine right from wrong. The ultimate question is "what do you want"? Find something that really suits you. The Fool embarks on a higher cycle of manifestation but with all the experience gained during the previous cycle. If unreversed: justice will be done; balance is required. Eliminate excess baggage, wrong ideas. A mixture of the right ingredients is welcomed.
- Crossing: (opposing forces, good or bad): Judgment: Awakening, renewal. A life well lived, a work well done. A change of consciousness, the realization that you need to live your life in a different way and you need to be true to yourself and your needs. Wonderful things are starting to happen now. Forge ahead and see what the future holds. Face life realistically, allow the new to emerge and realize the old situations no longer apply. The Power belongs to those who know, and those who know are then responsible. Make all the changes you desire. Actively participate and allow yourself to become a motivating spirit. Confront unfinished business, clear up any misunderstandings and view the future with peace and understanding in your heart. The Fool has found the secrets of life.
- The heart of the matter: The Chariot, reversed: You are feeling as if you have very little control over your life. If your powers of observation are faulty, superficial, or fearful, the resulting sequence of subconscious reactions is bound to be destructive. The two sphinxes may pull in different directions if the will of the charioteer does not control them. The conqueror may not yet have conquered him or herself. We find both will and knowledge, but there is more desire to maintain than proven power for real attainment. Instead of wasting energy grieving and complaining, use that energy to take action and to make changes in the world. Fear will cripple you unless you can acknowledge it and face it. Then you can use your fear constructively, for your own purposes. Focus your energies on what IS in your control. Examine what you can do to change the situation. If unreversed: triumph, success, the card of those who achieve greatness.
- Passing away: Two of Wands: Boldness, courage in 'embarking on an enterprise. With the correct negotiation, there could be a business partnership. Kindness and generosity -- yet a proud and unforgiven nature. A balance between thought and desire. Maintain your balance as events arise that will test your ability to judge fairly. What two ideas are you bringing together in a new and different way? What conflicting desires do you wish to integrate? At what threshold do you stand?
- Coming to pass: Six of Wands: Good news. Victory after strife. Pleasure gained through labor. Success through industry. Friends are helpful. Assume victory and your optimism will produce the very success it desires and expects. What positions of leadership and responsibility have you taken on? What is your relationship with your fellow workers? What has been resolved through your actions? What do you feel confident about? What kind of leadership do others need from you?
- The near future: Eight of Pentacles, reversed: Danger of failing in one's ambitions. False vanity, intrigue, and sharp practice. Skill turned to cunning, like that of the counterfeiter. Your own impatience is creating this frustration and these unfulfilled ambitions. You can not take shortcuts to success; proceed in the proper way, attend to details and utilize your organizational skills. There must be order and trust. What skill or craft are you learning? What details do you need to examine and take care of? How can you create a regular rhythem. for work? What are you doing to take care of your health and well-being? If unreversed: Learning a trade or profession, the beginning of a profitable undertaking. Skill in material affairs, handiwork, and the arts -- sometimes remaining only at the apprenticiship stage.
- Fears: The Sun, reversed: Future plans clouded, possible loss of a job or a home. Look at the situation realistically now - be perfectly honest with yourself. Put effort into reaching your goals. If unreversed: Material happiness. Success, attainment. A good marriage. Happy reunions. Achievement in the arts, sciences, agriculture (?!?). Pleasure in the simple life. Liberation.
- What people in the environment think: Ace of Pentacles, reversed Difficulty getting a project started or finished on time or to satisfaction. A false start. Inability to handle a basic, debilitating fear. Comfortable material conditions, which may not be to the advantage of the Querent. Accept that you are capable of making the wrong choices and use your gifts of practical organization. Assert your independence. If unreversed: the beginning of wealth and material gain,. Gold, prosperity, combined with pleasure and beauty.
- Hopes: Knight of Swords, reversed: Continue to cut through the thoughts, attitudes and beliefs that are creating blocks to your movement and the expression of your creative-intuitive thinking. Be direct, authoratitive, incisive, knowledgable, logical. Take the direct approach to a problem or situation. Don't mince words or let your feelings drive you. Approach things logically, dispassionately, and with forceful aim and let the chips fall where they may. Remove limitations and restrictions by releasing your desires to actively express your creative energy. See clearly the people you must steer clear of - recognize that they can upset your plans and create trouble. Your patience will make you a winner and allow you to restructure your relationships so that they move in new directions that are unlimited and less restrained.
- Final outcome: Two of Swords, reversed: You are caught between a rock and a hard place and are finding it very difficult to make a decision about what to do. Either option may lead to negative consequences. Release your need for everything to be "perfect" and in perfect order all the time - allow yourself to relax. Your affairs may be moving very quickly, so do not let the pace get you down. .e sure that you are dealing with the right people and give yourself plenty of time to think before committing yourself to anything. Your balance has been lost - you have been knocked over by the people and problems charging your defenses. The blindfold has been removed so that you can see the truth and communicate. This has been an emotionally shattering experience for you - you will need outside help. What are you hesitating to do? With whom do you have to make peace or reconcile? What are you struggling to maintain in balance?
Mashup of of interpretations from various sources, including Eden Grey and Crystal Reflections, September-October 2012
See also: Fall Equinox 2012 additional notes
I asked for guidance on what I needed to know about the path to happiness, my heart's desire, joy, love, and fulfillment ... message received! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the cards don't set the future in stone; they just describe a likely future based on the current dynamics, and point to possibilities of what to change. Message received!
The situation itself is excellent: waking up, new relationships possible, new goals, new ambition, success, change of fortune for the better, great things coming to pass. Yay! Alas, at the heart of the matter is my self-inflicted feelings of constraint, indecision, and fear of moving out of a situation which is interfering with my ability to think straight; and because of all the negativity in my environment this last year, I've lost touch with my hopes and desires. Continuing in that way isn't likely to lead to a great outcome.
But suppose I remove negative distortions from my thinking and reverse those cards. Then the heart of the matter as freedom and opportunities for new beginnings; and my hopes are for beauty, pleasure, and the beginnings of wealth and material gain. That sounds a lot healthier to me -- and more likely to lead to more positive outcomes. Some things I've already started doing align with this direction, but I can clearly do more.
Sounds like a plan to me!
- The Significator (that is, me): The Fool: hiiiii! The subject of the reading is a dreamer, a mystic. He has the desire to accomplish a great goal. He must be careful to make the right choice.
- Covering me (the present): Four of Cups, reversed Waking from a period of contentment or contemplation. New relationships now possible. New goals, new ambition. A man sits in contemplation under a tree oblivious of the three filled cups before him. From above he is offered another cup, which he also disdains. Awaken to the world and all its possibilities - always expect that there will be a positive change and stop worrying. New opportunities will now be offered. You will experience enthusiasm - seize this opportunity -you will experience the balance of feeling internally satisfied and fulfilled as well as external emotional fulfillment. How do you feel dissatisfied? Where do you go to find peace and serenity? How is this time of withdrawal and contemplation benefiting you? What are you re- evaluating in your life and relationships? What are you fantasizing about and what can you do to realize your fantasies?
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Wheel of Fortune: This key stands for the perpetual motion of a fluid universe and for the flux of human life within it. Success, unexpected turn of luck, change of fortune for the better, new conditions. Creative evolution within the laws of chance. Look for new opportunities - change is exactly what you need. Exercise your strength and prepare to adapt to new and different circumstances. Treat everything as an opportunity. Do it with an optimistic mind, fearless heart and sense of service to the planet and this good karma brings success and rewards to all levels of life. What life-changes are you experiencing? How are you adapting to these changes? What effects are you feeling from circumstances you put in motion previously? Is there something you need to resolve? How are your horizons expanding?
- The heart of the matter: Eight of Swords: Narrow or restricted surroundings. Bondage. Imprisonment through indecision. Fear to move out of a situation. Temporary sickness. You are unable to think clearly now - you need help and sensible advice Pull back now, go deep inside. Seek peace and allow your "inner" voice to direct you. Stop believing you will be swamped by your emotions if you take a step toward your goals. Recognize that you have done this to yourself and begin to focus on developing your potentials. Stop fearing success and power. See your abilities clearly and loose your passions. You have restrained yourself from activity long enough, avoiding the present by trying to convince yourself that there are no alternatives. These beliefs keep you hemmed in - they always provide reasons why nothing will work. [If reversed: new beginnings now possible. Impulsive, generous nature. Relaxation from fear. Freedom.] What actions, plans or ideas are being blocked by circumstances beyond your control? What would you like to do if you could get rid of the obstacles and blocks? Who or what could assist you to break free? What benefits do you receive by not acting? What is interfering with your creative expressions? Or your ability to communicate?
- Passing away: Ten of Pentacles, reversed: family misfortune; old people may become a burden. Caution against getting involved in projects that are a poor risk. Lack of true appreciation for the magnitude of the material blessings. Improper/inadequate use of wealth. Fortune atrophying, need to invest. Acknowledge when you are experiencing one problem after another, when nothing seems to run smoothly - when you feel lost and do not know what to do. Become self-motivated - be objective and take command of this situation. In what ways are you wealthy? What traditions are you carrying on? What are you inheriting - a job, money, home? What is your status or position in the hierarchy or structure? What will endure beyond this experience or situation? How are you expected to behave under these circumstances?
- Coming to pass: The Sun: Material happiness. Success, attainment. A good marriage. Happy reunions. Achievement in the arts, sciences, agriculture (?!?). Pleasure in the simple life. Liberation. Perfect control between the conscious and unconscious. Adversity will be overcome - wholeness and harmony will prevail and there will be joy and happiness in your future. Opportunity is in the offing, do not hesitate to move forward - go ahead, there will be many blessings - this is a time to be happy and give thanks. Success lies ahead. You feel a sense of wisdom, seeing everything with total clarity - clear and direct as you are "filled with the light of understanding." You see everything as alive and holy, united through the light that fills all existence - unified and alive. You experience a burst of freedom as you are liberated from the ordinary restricted consciousness to openness and freedom. You feel a part of the whole rather than an isolated individual and you see the world in a new way. You experience joy, happiness and great beauty as you experience optimism, energy and wonder. What do you now understand? What successes have you achieved? What have you birthed or brought to fruition? What joys are you sharing with others? What commitments have you made?
- The near future: Ten of Swords: Ruin of plans and projects. Disruption of home life. Tears will fall. Trouble will come in spite of riches and high position. Give charity freely to those in trouble. Are your feelings creating extreme unhappiness, depression and a deep sense of loss? Allow yourself the right to give up - stop fighting these losing battles! Surrender and you will find that a change has occurred - you have been released. You can choose to run or discover that the monster you fear isn't half as bad as you "think" it is. Release the fears that led you to this negative thinking - the thoughts that created your conscious decision that things would not work out. You are growing toward harmony - balance between the material and the spiritual things of the mind.
- My fears: Three of Swords: A general upheaval of the environment. Possibility of civil war. Political strife. Stormy weather for the affections. Experience your emotions fully, so that you will not get blocked by them. The veil of obscurity is pierced, and the heart of desire is made manifest through our practice of living an observed, aware, and balanced life. In what ways are you suffering, feeling jealous or hurt? Can you look at your relationships with truth and honesty? What do you fear most within your relationships? What
- The environment: The Moon: Intuition, imagination, unfoldment of latent psychic powers. Unforeseen perils, secret foes. Decide to make a "leap" into pure and simply creativity. Bring inner ecstasy back into your consciousness. Allow your intuitive powers to guide you - the change has come, even though it does not show. What do you instinctively want to do? What kind of cycle or pattern are you repeating? Are your actions appropriate to this particular situation or are you responding to some past situation? What is bewildering or confusing you? What is real and what is illusion?
- My hopes: Ace of Pentacles, reversed: This was in my environment in last year's reading, and has now shifted to hopes -- but on the surface it makes no sense here. "Miserliness. Greed. A false start. Inability to handle a basic, debilitating fear. Comfortable material conditions, which may not be to the advantage of the Querent. Difficulty getting a project started or finished on time or to satisfaction. " I don't think that's what I'm hoping for. If unreversed, it makes a lot more sense: the beginning of wealth and material gain,. Gold, prosperity, combined with pleasure and beauty. So one way of interpreting this is that the reason I'm out of touch with my hopes is that the negative aspects of the environment are contaminating my thinking -- and I need to reverse it. What new opportunities for work, stability, home, money or health do you have? What is making you feel secure and grounded? How can you use a recent gift? What plan are you putting in motion? What kind of seeds are you planting? How are you being rewarded for your accomplishments?
- Final outcome: Seven of Pentacles, reversed: Impatience. Little gain after much work. Anxiety about a loan. A farmer gazes at the pentacles growing on the vine in front of him. Will he receive the harvest from his work? You are experiencing dissatisfaction - the trapped feeling that comes from an unsatisfying lifestyle or job. Face and move through the self-doubts that raise your fear of failure and the apprehension that your work will all be for nothing. No matter what you do, there is a certain point that you have to wait for the results and allow the fruit to ripen in its own time. Calculate your odds, sow the seeds most likely to grow. let go of your expectations and cultivate patience. When you experience anxiety and depression related to your finances, do not allow these anxious thoughts to create depression. Learn from the lesson being presented and understand that when you are centered on feeling sorry for yourself. Your own impatience can ruin everything. Make no rash decisions now - before you move ahead, always think carefully and ask yourself "Is this what I really want?" Maintain balance on all levels and take care that you do not hurt anyone during the transition. What is growing and maturing that you are concerned about? What do you fear will fail or be spoiled? What mistakes did you make in a similar situation and what can you do differently now? What investments have you made in time, money or labor that worry you? How have your efforts been worthwhile?
- The Significator (that is, me): The Fool
- Covering me (the present): Judgment, reversed
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Seven of Cups
- The basis: Three of Cups
- Behind me: Ace of Cups
- Crowning me: Magician
- Before me: Queen of Swords, reversed
- What I bring to the situation (or my fears): Queen of Cups
- What people think: King of Cups, reversed
- My hopes (and/or fears): Four of Wands, reversed
- Final outcome: Page of Wands, reversed
- The Significator (that is, me): The Magician
- Covering me (the present): *Covering me (the present): The Fool
- Crossing me (opposing forces, good or bad): Empress
- The heart of the matter: Three of Pentacles, reversed
- Passing away: Queen of Swords, reversed
- Coming to pass: Six of Pentacles
- The near future: Two of Swords
- My fears: King of Cups, reversed
- What people around me think: Seven of Swords, reversed
- My hopes: Temperance
- Final outcome: Queen of Wands, reversed